Monday, September 28, 2015

Week 3 Reflection

In class we had people instruct on Whole Numbers. We read chapter 10 of the textbook, which was also describing Whole Numbers. My classmates reviewed different strategies to teach addition, estimation, and place values. 
One of the methods I found very helpful was grouping numbers together and rounding in order to add large numbers. I found this very helpful to add large numbers like 345+138. We added the hundreds together first to get 400, then the tens to get 70, and the ones to get 13, to find a total of 483. I think this is a good strategy because students get intimidated by large numbers and this really helps to simplify things for them. 
Woolley, E. © 2015
These place value riddles were quite informative and actually fun to do. They challenged me to think and I was really pleased with myself when I was able to figure out the answer. I think this was a good activity and I would definitely use this in my own class to confirm that students know place values.
Woolley, E. © 2015
This image shows how numbers can be grouped together. This really caught my attention and really opened my eyes to how numbers come together. I highlighted some of the patterns that I noticed in particular. The pink indicates groups of 5, the blue represents groups of 4. There are many other patterns to this image, like the circles representing prime numbers. I will definitely use this in my class room to help students visual numbers and their patterns, and not just as a number. These groupings will definitely help with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems. This is a really good strategy that I hope to teach in my class one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment